Santa Barbara

It rises on the the area that anciently was adjacent to the quadri-portico in front of the church of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo. It might have been built on the ruins of structures that belonged to the area around Theodoric’s Palace. Much of the building was restored during the 17th century. Due to a Napoleonic order which imposed the suppression of the monastic orders and the reduction of the number of parishes, Santa Barbara, parish seat since 1513 of the frati Minori (Minor friars) was incorporated into Santa Maria in Porto and later suppressed.

Click here to see the buildings in the surrounding area on the map