Mercato Coperto

The building stands on an area famous as area of commerce since the 5th century; here also one of the most ancient fishermen corporations operated, the “Schola Piscatorum” founded in the 10th century.  The current structure was carried out on the project of Eugenio Baroncelli and Tobia Gordini, following the demolition that took place in 1915 of the so-called “esedra Vignuzzi”. The architecture follows a classic style, the facade is face brick, the inside has four bays and the cover with large skylights is made with metal trusses sustained by imposing cast iron columns. It was restored by the Town Council in 1981-1983. 

Click here to see the buildings in the surrounding area on the map