Originally built in the 16th century, the palace belonged to the powerful Pignatta family. The building has undergone extensive restoration that have changed its original appearance. At the end of 1700 the palace passed to the Donati family. The last radical intervention dates back to the mid-nineteenth century, when the building was refaced and the main entrance was adorned with a portal made of Istrian stone with a mask as a keystone. In 1893 the building was bought by the lawyer Carlo Rasi. During the bombings on Ravenna only the facade was saved while most of the internal structure and the rear building were severely damaged.