The current church was completely rebuilt on a design by Pietro Grossi in 1671 on the remains of an early Christian building commissioned by Ecclesius, bishop of Ravenna from 522 to 533. The old structure had three naves supported by sixteen marble columns; the new structure confirms the basilica layout with re-used original columns and capitals. In ancient times the apse had mosaics; the current is of Baroque style. The cylindric bell tower dates back to the 9th-10th century. Inside we can find precious late Renaissance paintings and sculptures as well as the tomb of the Ravennate architect Camillo Morigia (1743-1795).